Have you ever had something go NOT according to plan?
I have. Right now that is happening with our dream to travel in our RV. We broke down, major. Before we even hit the road. It is going to take some time and some funds to get us moving again. It bites. So, I know how frustrating it can be when you risk everything for you dream and then things get thrown off course.
It’s frustrating, hard, confusing, even embarrassing. No one likes to fail, especially when people around you are paying attention. And when the dream is something that is HUGE for you, the last thing you want is for the satisfaction and fulfillment of making it happen to be delayed, or not experienced at all.
So, what do you do when the plan fails? When what you want to make happen, doesn’t?
I know that I can so easily and so quickly want to throw in the towel. I give up before I even get going. I have so many projects and so many dreams I have started and the moment they seem hard or like it is not going how I envisioned, I give up.
Do you do this? Throw in the towel? Or question yourself and start to be careful. Sometimes we even give up before we get started. Maybe because of fear or not know what to do, or whatever it is that stops YOU.
Here are 6 steps of what to do when your plan goes off course:
- Stop, breath. Breath some more. Remember, this too shall pass and it will work itself out. Somehow, someway. Give yourself some space to breath.
- Now that you are thinking a little more clearly, go back to why you are doing what you planned in the first place. What is the dream? The why? Revisit the land of magical possibilities where dreams are awesome and give you goosebumps. Spend some time getting back into that dreaming space. Blog, journal, make some art. Do whatever it is you do that leaves you feeling inspired. Don’t do anything else until you are in love with the project all over again.
- Now, take a moment to look and see what happened? Did you cut a corner, not do some work, ignore something really important? Look and see if you can see a mistake that was made. It is very powerful to tell the truth about why the plan didn’t work. If you can take responsibility for how things got off track, then you can reclaim your power. For me and our RV dreams, there were some things we overlooked when we inspected the beast. I know we did it. My husband knows we did it. We were just so dang excited we didn’t trust that little voice saying slow down, check this out thoroughly. I can own that. We did it and now we are faced with having to fix the exact thing we ignored.
- Forgive yourself for doing whatever you did (or didn’t do). You are human. So am I. We make mistakes. We get lazy. It happens. Forgive yourself so you can move forward.
- Next, re-evaluate the plan. Go back and re-work the plan. What now needs to happen to get you to where you want to go? Get yourself back on course. Deadlines may need to be pushed back, extra time to get some work done may need to be scheduled, etc.
- Work your plan. Have fun with it! If you get off course again, stop and get yourself pointed in the right direction.
I know all of that sounds simple. But, I think it is really, really important. So often, we get off track and throw in the towel. We beat ourselves up. We give up on our dreams. On ourselves.
But, just stopping and taking the above steps can get you focused again on what you really want. On your dreams.
I think it is time that we don’t give up so easily. That we forgive ourselves and move forward. Don’t you?
What is a dream you gave up on because it didn’t go to plan? What can you do to get the magic back?
Be sure to sign up for the Make a Plan e-Course that starts on Monday, April 19th! Be a part of a community of super inspiring mamas and get your big dream off the ground! And, if you leave a comment on this post, you will be entered to win a free spot in the course.